Friday, February 26, 2010

Weekly Report, 2/22-26/10

The usual, the boring...but still posting because I want to keep accountable!

We actually did get to complete the morning routine W-F. Monday morning we went to the library for family reading time (though they are on holiday until next Monday; we just hung out with friends there). Tuesday we went to our church's moms' group. I consider our morning routine part of homeschooling :)

No speech therapy today for Sharkbait because his therapist is out.

Sharkbait: AWANA verse; Phonics - one pg daily (bl, sl, fl, gl, cl); he also read the monthly Baby Animals magazine from cover-to-cover for his sisters and me, not that it's complex or long or anything...
SweetSong: AWANA verse and review; she also had fun going to town in the bathroom with a spray bottle of vinegar, water, and washing soda and a few papertowels (random)
All three: lots of read alouds and preschool Bible song CD (over and over)

In other homeschooling news, I got to put my hands on and peruse at my leisure Mystery of History, Vol. I. I'm super interested in using this next year for first grade. I have Story of the World, Vol. I, but not the Activity Guide...I wonder if I had the AG, would that suffice? How do you choose? I like that MOH is overtly Christian. It also is re-usable, in the sense that each lesson has assignments for students in varying ages/grades. Does the SOTW AG have that, I wonder? Hmmmm....need to do a bit more research :)

I've been horrible with keeping up with Math. It was funny, though, when I gave the kids a bath this morning, Sharkbait kept on saying his math facts, though we've not officially taught them to him yet. 5 + 5 = 10; 3 + 3 = 6; etc. Funny! I answered some of the harder ones, like 11 + 11 :)

I suppose that's something we could review in the car...

That's about it!

7 comments:

Daisy said...

No SOTW doesn't have levels in its AG.

Looks like a great week. Everyone is doing the big spring Awana push. Have to get those books done! LOL.

Julie said...

I vote for you to find a way to see the SOTW AG. That would help you decide. We are going to do SOTW w/AG, but we are going to do it using TOG for me to self-educate.

Robin Johnson said...

What a wonderful week! I love the math facts in the tub. Too sweet!

We've been using SOTW w/ AG this year and love it. I can tailor everything to the levels of my dc and there are plenty of ideas to appeal to all.

Liza Q said...

(in case you are interested in my opinion) I prefer SOTW to MOH because the writing is way better! I borrowed MOH from a friend several years ago and, while I liked the idea of it, I found the text tedious. So for Ancients with my younger children, I read a Bible Story book (Catherine Vos) aloud, had them listen to SOTW on CD, added some crafts, maps and library books (the AG was way more than I needed but I did use some of it)and had a pretty good year!

Rebecca D said...

I know several people using SOTW... including the activities guide.. Dana M for one... if you are interested I could give you some more local names of people so you could check out theirs...

MissMOE said...

Sounds like a great week. Your family seems so sweet. Thanks for sharing your week.

Rosie B. said...

Hey Sonny, sorry I haven't commented.. I've been in a real funk.. I'm over it now.. lol. I have the SOTW w/AG for Vol. 1 if you're still needing to take a look, let me know. Isn't it funny how somethings just come natural to children? For Xa reading took a long time. For Aya it was like, when did she learn how to read??? lol. I didn't teach her that yet!