Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Morning Routine

One advantage to J's Asperger's is that he thrives on routines. This is good because I do not. I made up a "bedtime routine" to help cut down on unnecessary bedtime whack-a-mole games (one kid pops out of bed, gets put back, next kid pops out, etc.). J holds us to the routine! He will cry if we try to put his pj's on before he brushes his teeth, or if we try to offer a sip of water before Bible time!

It's been so successful, in fact, that I've instituted a morning routine.

This is a lot harder to follow through on, though, because J is not 100% excited about it, mostly because I included *gasp* chores!!! He is responsible for wiping the breakfast table after H clears it and before V vacuums the floor around it. But I'm gonna stick to it!!! I'm determined!

Our morning routine:

*wake up.
*eat breakfast.
*clean up the kitchen (chores listed above).
*make bed.
*brush teeth.
*put on clothes (including shorts for J, since he doesn't like to wear them!).
*review AWANA verses.

Veteran moms have told me often step-by-step is the way to go, but like a fool, I keep on attempting to change the whole system in one fell swoop. I'm finding though *sigh*, that they're right. It's all about instituting change one step at a time...

We'll stick with the bedtime and morning routines for now. After we get settled in our new place, I'm going to do workboxes to bring routine to our school times.

:)

1 comment:

Rebecca D said...

Yeah right.... what happened to keeping it real? (LOL) check out the "a day in the life" post at:
http://thelumberjackswife.wordpress.com

For a laugh...