Friday, February 19, 2010

How our AM Routine Went

First of all, yay to my two readers for giving input! Woo-hoo!

Rebecca, thank you for your time-tested advice to AVOID STRESSING OUT! This is so my goal: to change and progress, but not to be obsessed about or depressed by it (or lack of it). I so dig your idea of adding one responsibility and/or privilege at each birthday. Putting it in the birthday card is EVEN BETTER! That'll make it so super cool! I'm so going to do that!

R, thanks for commiserating with me :) I like the idea of a helper a day...that way, I could intro or try out different "chores" with each kid to find out what's doable...and get some quality time with each...maybe letting each help with meal prep when it's his/her day...just thinking out loud...lots of possibilities!

Well, I did follow the routine today, and it somehow brought more...peace (?) to our home...not that our home is not peaceful (ha!)...but there was this calm after we finished the routine...the kids calmly played by themselves until lunch! It was amazing! Okay, so there was only about an hour from the end of the routine to lunch, but still!

I cleared out the sink the night before. That does not mean I washed every dish, though :) I put what I could in the dishwasher and set the rest next to the sink to be washed this morning.

This AM hub was home for awhile, so he set out the kids' "first breakfast" (sorry, I'm reading the Lord of the Rings right now). I got up, drank my first cup o'joe, and took my time making eggs. The kids were at that point done with first bfast and the table looked it. While the eggs were cooking, I just took all books and crayons and toys off the table, leaving the dirty dishes for Snuggie. We ate leisurely and as they finished, they were allowed to leave and play. When all had finished, I called Snuggie to put all the dishes in the sink (after I had "organized" them and placed them at the edge of the table, ha!). When she was done, Sharkbait was up to wipe down the table. I was tempted to do it for him, but instead, just directed him crumb by crumb...he did fine, too. SweetSong loves using our cordless handvac! She vacuumed up around the table after I wiped up the sticky jelly from first breakfast, and voila! DONE!

We went through the rest of the routine...I simply called each one when I needed him/her, whether for brushing teeth or working on the AWANA verse.

I was glad we didn't go to speech therapy today (Sharkbait has a little cold). It allowed for a nice, leisurely morning that I feel was a success :)

But don't worry, I am not going to make this day the standard (that's just setting myself up for failure!). I'm just going to take it a day at a time. This resolve feels like freedom :)

1 comment:

Rosie B. said...

Sunny, you're too funny! I'm glad you had a "successful" day! Just remember everyday we give it up to the LORD is a successful day in His eyes, whether we feel as though is was or not.. lol.

O' yeah! I forgot to mention that I also think Rebecca's birthday idea is awesome.. and "Modi" (that's how the older kids say her name)has her 6th birthday coming up too! All I need is to think of a job to give her..lol.

One more thing, Sunny, you're a great mom! Don't ever think that my "advice" or "reminders" mean other wise. I think they help me just as much or even more. Believe me, I struggle BIG time.. but by sharing with you I can realize and take hold of this truth, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13. That includes mothering and training ;-)