Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Is it tacky?

Is it tacky to reflect on Valentine's Day two days later?



Oh, well. I'm going to do it, anyways.



A week or so ago, I was actually shopping alone (woo-hoo!). I stopped at the PX and picked up some small Valentine's gifts for the kiddies. For the girls, I bought these little bracelets that were made in China. Is that love or what? The girls oohed and aahed, and wore their gifts to church.



For Sharkbait, I bought (of course), Nemo stickers. They ended up in a big sticker bunch by the end of the day, after being stuck and re-stuck to a clipboard, Sharkbait's face, and the wall...good thing I only spent a dollar on them.



For hub, I got one of those cards that makes music; he loves those. Like I said, he's musically-inclined. He speaks and thinks and feels in music, even when the music issues from cheesy cards from Walmart!



I asked for chocolate for Valentine's. I specified the kind, so I wouldn't get stuck with Russell Stover's again. I was happy :)



We babysat our friends' two children overnight, since the husband is deploying soon. We also invited over our friends with the three kids. And the little girl from across the street who comes to church with us. Yep, we spent our Valentine's night with two friends, nine children under the age of seven, and Settlers of Catan. It was GREAT!

This Valentine's, I have been reminded of the joy that comes from giving little gifts to my family that make them smile, even if the gift lasts no more than one day.

I have learned that I love peace and quiet as much as I love a full house! (That's saying a lot, since I'm extremely extroverted! But really, nine kids? Under the age of seven? Five of them overnight? All I can say is: WE SURVIVED!!!)

I'm learning that love happens in the experiences, in the daily things, like bracelets and stickers and slumber parties. Tacky or not, reflecting on LOVE is always a good idea :)

2 comments:

Rebecca D said...

Sweet... I got one girlie gummi bears and the other twizzlers... and they each got their own 2ltr of their favorite soda. Knowing we would be doing a lot of Olympic viewing last weekend I thought snacks would be appreciated... Nothing big, but even at their ages they were thrilled...Sometimes it's the little things...
If you read my not me Monday you'll know I didn't fair as well... (LOL)

Rosie B. said...

awww.. Sunny that was sweet.. not tacky.. definitely not tacky.. especially since I haven't posted mine and I still want to.. lol. ;-)