Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Spankings and Speedtraps

We have these great s-curves in our subdivision that remind me of the s-curves in the town I grew up in. I love going fast around s-curves.

Two nights ago I was heading to Walmart, flying around those curves (okay, so it was only 40mph, but it felt fast; these are sharp curves.)

I got pulled over right before I hit the road leading out of the subdivision.

Ack!

I haven't been pulled over in about a decade! And I've never gotten a ticket! But I could see no way out of this one.

The policeman was very nice. He asked me if I knew what the speed limit there was. I looked hopefully over my shoulder; maybe a sign was posted? But, no. So, I gave it my best shot: 25? He smiled and said, "Actually, no. It's 30, but you were going 40 around those curves." (I knew this; I always watch my spedometer; it's fun.)

He assured me he was not going to give me a ticket, as long as all the documentation was in order (it was). He gave me a pink piece of paper (carbon copy) that had *warning* *warning* written all over it. No need to show up in court, no fine, just a warning. Thank you, sir, I said gratefully.

As I pulled away, I had this crazy thought: I'm going fly around those curves again on my way home! And do you know what popped into my head right after that?

"Foolishness!"

I spank my kids when they disobey a rule and shake my head when I see them try the exact same offense two minutes later. Foolish child, I think mournfully. You'll only get another spanking, you know! But here I was, right after a spanking, contemplating breaking the rule again! Okay, I'm not going to be foolish. I'm not 3 anymore, sista!

Humbled. A bit ashamed. But not foolish!

Well, not completely foolish...here's the rest of the story...

"They" are going to build new houses in our subdivision. One of my neighbors wrote a petition, asking them to consider not bringing more people into our subdivision, since there's only one road in and out. Think of the increased traffic! We have speeding problems, as it is! Hub and I signed the petition; in fact, I think we were the first to do it. Our neighbor presented it to the city council and they accepted it. That's why they were cracking down on speeding in our subdivision. Hence, I was caught...is that ironic (and very embarrassing!) or what?

My neighbor thought it was funny.

Oh, well, live and learn :)

For a (an?) hilarious recounting of an encounter with a law-enforcement officer read this:

http://http//highmaintenanceaspirations.blogspot.com/2010/03/did-i-ever-tell-you-about-time.html

1 comment:

Rebecca D said...

Just when I was enjoying the fact that I am not the only one with law enforcement woes... you call me out... feelin' the love...