Saturday, January 31, 2009

What, Where, When?

We'll be moving after 5 good years in Tennessee. I'm excited for the move, but it is such a weird feeling not knowing what my husband's new job will be (cross-training), where we will be moving or when.

Even though we don't have a set time-frame, I'm working on decluttering and reorganizing the house, so that when we do have to put it up for sale, it'll be (more) ready to show.

Something I've realized about the kids' toys: they just empty the toy boxes (esp. J) for no reason and make huge messes on the floor. It is super annoying to have to pick up block upon block and lego upon lego. It's even more annoying to train and supervise the kids to do it! The worst part is that they don't even play with the blocks or legos. They just use them to make messes! If the toys were being used in a creative fashion in play, then the messes would be tolerated and training the kids to pick them up would be less annoying. But since they are not used, I find no reason why not to store them in a bin when not in use. That way, if the kids want to make messes, at least it will be with toys they play with!!! I've already stored away the puzzles (pieces, pieces, everywhere!) and books that are for when they are older.

I will still get the blocks/legos or puzzles out when we all want to play with them and then I'll make sure we all help clean up. But for unsupervised play, they'll be out of sight, out of mind.

In this way, I'm decluttering/reorganizing and I'm saving a wee bit of sanity (which will be sorely needed coming moving time, I'm sure!)

Back to thoughts on the move: I've begun to think about not only the how's and what's of moving, but also about closure. My friendships will change, not end, necessarily, just change; I've seen this already with friends who've moved before us. I want to take time with my friends to think through what we've experienced together, what we've learned from one another, etc.

Also, I want to remember all the events that took place while here and consider the significance of each. Where does this time in Tennnessee fit in the timeline of my life?

What was God teaching me through these times? Did I learn? Did I grow? How?

Closure not only includes considering the past, but also looking forward to the future. What do I expect things to be like in our new place? What are my goals? Have they changed at all?

I don't think closure is a process that ends when we leave Tennessee; I think it continues for a while (it took me a few years to make closure on our time in Korea)...but it all starts now.

Exciting, huh?

No comments: